The Apostles is a collection of the catecheses Pope Benedict XVI gave during his weekly General Audiences in 2006 and 2007. The talks were given in either St. Peter’s Square or, in less favorable weather, the Paul VI Hall next to St. Peter’s Basilica.
Monday, January 22, 2024
Bible Study on the Apostles for Adults
Below are excerpts from a study guide written by Amy Welborn and available for free download here.
Below are some of questions for the session on the apostles Andrew, James the Lesser and James the Greater.
Questions for Study
1. What do we know about Andrew’s life before he met Jesus?
2. Why is Andrew called Protokletos?
3. What are the three occasions, after his initial call, in which Andrew is mentioned in the Gospels?
4. How does tradition describe Andrew’s death? How is it similar to Peter’s?
5. At what two important events was James the Greater present? How are these events related?
6. When did James die? In what circumstances?
7. Who was James the Lesser?
8. What role did James play in the struggles of the early Church? What did the result of those early struggles mean for Christianity?
9. What is the main focus and theme of the Letter of James?