Monday, December 23, 2002

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Michael wrote about this at his blog, but it’s worth retelling here.

Yesterday morning, we were sitting in the living room, trying to figure out where to go to Mass. Yes, our parish is but half a mile away, but we’d missed the 8:00 am, and we really, really didn’t want to endure the MegaMass 10:30 if we didn’t have to. So we were there looking through the diocesan directory, trying to find a 9 or 9:30, when Michael saw what he thought was a small log in the back yard. He looked closer. It wasn’t a log. It was a rabbit.

See, our living room is defined by this enormous, floor to ceiling picture window. We have a bird bath right on the other side, and most of the time, it’s better than television. It’s especially good if you’re rather short, like Joseph.

So anyway, from the comfort of our couches, we studied the rabbit, who looked rather strange, especially since he was just lying there. He was obviously injured – his back end wouldn’t move, although the slight movements in his front end showed that he was still alive.

Michael took him out some carrots and some water and I wondered what you did about an injured wild rabbit in your back yard. Do you take it to a vet? Do you put it in a sling and nurse it back to health?

As it turns out, I didn’t have to worry.

A few hours later we returned from Mass and a few other errands. I looked out the window. Couldn’t see the rabbit. A big old bird – a hawk - was blocking my view. I thought at first it was eating the carrots. Maybe not, I realized, as he took a break and raised his bloody beak. Guess I won’t have to worry about what to do with the rabbit.

So yes, right there in full view, ready for viewing, was the hawk ripping apart the bunny, shaking its fur off its beak, clutching the body with its talons. Well, good for Mother Nature, but not something we wanted to watch all afternoon, so Michael took a rake and moved the rabbit to the back of the property. As he relates, it took the hawk a good while to find its lunch again, but once it did, it settled down and spent a good hour and a half feasting.

I was just glad Katie wasn’t here (she and David are in Virginia until this Friday), for I don’t think we have enough Kleenex in the house to deal with that many tears.

Incidents like that always make me think of Disney movies. Really. Or actually, all kids’ entertainment that sanitizes nature and pretends that the food chain doesn’t exist or is solely composed of herbivores.

No comments:

Post a Comment